httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Sat, 07 Feb 1998 17:40:50 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Paul Sutton wrote:
>
> > On 6 Feb 1998 brian@hyperreal.org wrote:
> > >   +    c) radically revamped API
> > >   +
> > >   +    d) just new API phases
> > >   +       Brian +1
> >
> > Um, I'm not sure how to vote on this. Personally I'd like to see (a) the
> > function API left pretty much as it is, (b) the phase API radically
> > updated (a la Alexei et al's proposal -- i.e. remove the module structure
> > from modules etc), and (c) backward compatibility with modules written for
> > 1.3.
>
> Um... if you remove the module structure, it is physically impossible to
> retain bacwards compatibility with modules written for 1.3. And I don't
> think it's a good idea to try.

Nah. It may be a struggle, but I'd hope it was possible to write an
"old-module-running" module.

> Especially not if we need to rename all our functions (see other threads).
> And there are a number of other parts of the Apache API that really need
> to be rethought (can we say "configuration"?) Backwards compatibility with
> 1.3, either for the API or the config language or anything else, has never
> (in the year and a half we've been discussing it) been a high priority for
> 2.0.

I'd really like to see a departure from the current config. It seems
fundamentally flawed to me, and, although people didn't like my proposed
replacement, I'm sure we can do better...

> Also, if, as certain threads here might be leaning, Apache 2.0 is
> C++-based (I'm +0 personally - I don't mind C++, but the lack of legacy
> support is a bit troubling), you pretty much have to throw the 1.x API
> completely out the window.

I'm sure there's big chunks of API that can either be retained or kept
very similar to existing API.

Cheers,

Ben.