httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: future plans
Date Thu, 05 Feb 1998 23:39:18 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, I find it hard to get motivated about API redesign since
> > this group consistently rejects the only _sensible_ way forward (i.e.
> > C++), on grounds that are becoming increasingly shaky. I do sympathize
> > with those who don't yet know C++ well (or at all) but hell, guys,
> > you've got to start somewhere, right?
>
> If we can maintain the mentality that "lean is good", which means that C++
> weenies do not get to link in 5 zillion class libraries just because they
> don't want to code up a linked list or some other silliness like that. I'm
> not going to be happy with an apache that's twice its current size.  (This
> is where theory and reality collide -- small == less instruction cache
> footprint == faster.)

I'm not convinced its as simple as this. For example, if I avoid calling
things by inlining (== big) then is that really slower?

> And we can avoid the really broken "features" of C++, like operator
> overloading (yeah sure, theoretically a cool thing, but try debugging a
> program that (ab)uses this "feature").

I'm not saying this is going to be a completely painless process. Given
that major code bloat and obscurity is an easy-to-achieve side effect of
careless C++, we need to keep an eye on these things, but dismissing
whole language features out of hand because of a bad experience is
really taking it a bit far.

> And we can be happy that we're not losing platforms that we care about.
> (In order to decide this we have to decide what intersection of "features"
> we're going to use.)

Can we quantify what this actually means, please? Like, a list of
platforms, and what their C++ support is would be good. Also a list of
platforms we care about (in the 2.0 timeframe. So anything with year
2000 problems is out :-).

> Then I'm +0 on using C++.

Wow! I'm making progress!

Cheers,