httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Thu, 05 Feb 1998 21:43:40 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> This is my last post as well.
>
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> >
> > Jim, I would submit that you are writing without a clue on this issue.
> > You don't know squat about how automake/autoconf works, and yet you are
> > willing to compare it to Configure as if you do.  I can't force you to
> > go out and learn how it works, but I can tell you what I know from using
> > it on another project for more than a year now.  When you stop spouting
> > nonsense based on nothing other than a poorly grounded imagination,
> > I'll start listening to your opinion of autoconf as if it mattered.
> >

> Please reread my messages... My opinion has been totally, 100% based
> on actual, real-world experience with autoconf/configure. Nope,
> I don't know the nitty-gritty details on how every line of code
> works nor do I want to, nor do I require that knowledge to have
> an opinion. Instead, I have had countless times when ./configure
> has caused me more hassle and headache than a simple commented
> "configuration" file would have. This is fact. I've mentioned this
> several times. Either you haven't bothered reading what I've said,
> in which case I certainly can't force you to, or you have
> chosen to bolster your argument by wrapping my arguments in lies
> and falsehoods. Either way, it doesn't hold water. I would submit
> that you don't have a clue what I've been saying, and the above
> statements clearly show that.

Seems to me that the divide here is that Roy is talking about what can
be done with autoconf/automake, and you are talking about what your
experience is with what people have done with it. I'm interested to know
whether you have come across _any_ autoconf based programs that actually
do work out of the box, or whether you universally have problems?

Cheers,

Ben.