httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/htdocs/manual/vhosts details.html details_1_2.html examples.html fd-limits.html host.html ip-based.html name-based.html vhosts-in-depth.html virtual-host.html
Date Thu, 05 Feb 1998 21:20:14 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Do we really have to do this?  I don't recall us ever voting on html style
> guides or anything like that.  Not that I want to waste time voting on
> something like that.  I just really can't read some of the "corrections"
> you're making to the html.

No, we didn't vote on a style guide.  (I'm writing one to propose.)  However,
whatever we end up with in our documentation should be a) uniform and
consistent, and b) easily readable.  I've mentioned several times over
the last eight months or so that I wanted to do this.  The responses I
got were a couple of whinges about how some individual didn't like it
(but didn't make a counter-proposal or offer to maintain the docs),
and one person saying that if I was going to go to the effort to clean
up and normalise the HTML then it was my privilege to do it according
to my own preferences.  I have some time and inclination, and I'm not
going to wait for another pointless interminable discussion to never
resolve itself.

>                             Multi-line <a> tags are just terrible.

Lines longer than 80 characters - particularly so much so that they
wrap several times - are worse, IMNSHO.

> <AND ALL UPPERCASE HURTS MY EARS>

What, is your monitor tied into your Speak&Spell? <g>  Seriously, in
normal prose, I definitely agree.  In source code I agree.  But in
something like a markup document, I have found over the last decade+
that it's a *lot* easier to figure out what's going on if the prose
and the markup are easily distinguishable.  Since the prose needs to
be mixed- and mostly lower-case, that means the markup gets to be..
uppercase.

#ken	P-)}