httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Thu, 05 Feb 1998 20:43:14 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:
> Yes, config.status is a cache.  Since when are caches bad?  I'm sure you
> enjoy the disk cache on your system, and the L2 and L1 caches on your CPU.

Very dodgy comparison. What we are talking about here is cache
consistency. L1/L2/disk caches benefit from either being in the data
path of any changes to the underlying data, or of being fully informed
of such changes.

The problem with config.status style caching is that it has no way to
know that the ground has shifted under its feet.

So, in short, caches are good, but only if they have the infrastructure
to support their consistency.

Cheers,

Ben [who happens to be doing some major consultancy on caching at the
moment...]