httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Shared modules -- missing util_script
Date Thu, 05 Feb 1998 17:41:37 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> No, this has nothing to do the dynamic linking. I'm talking about ensuring
> that the statically-linked httpd contains all the consituents of
> libmain.a, when the modules which normally use objects in libmain are
> removed from the build.
>
> I.e. you do
>
>   ar crv libz a.o b.o
>   ld c.o -lz -o httpd

Long ago, when the library setup was originally proposed, I was concerned
about things of this nature.  I was assured that listing the .a file in
the link rather than using -L would cause the entire library to be
included.  Since then I've become a convert to the idea.

Why would this be happening, though?  libmain.a *is* named as such,
and no -L searching is supposedly being done, so why would anything
be left out?  Is this a platform-specific thing?

#ken	P-)}