httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 03:04:30 GMT
Cristian Gafton wrote:

> That is no use to me as a distribution maintainer. 90% of the users are
> using binary distributions and don't bother to see how apache is compiled.

Attribution, please.  Given the last two month's worth of press about
Web server "market share" alone, I am dubious about you '90%' figure.

> Having more documentation does not help me at all. Moreover, having to
> have different distribution-specific patches for different platforms
> (alpha, sparc, intel) and maintaining those patches is kind of a pain.
> Having the possibility to run the same ./configure command line when
> building the package will be a very nice thing.

I don't see this.  What patches?  All you need is a separate Configuration
file for each platform - and it appears to me that you need much the
same if you use autoconf.

The waters are getting muddy again; are your remarks about distribution
aimed at the autoconf discussion, or the dynamic module discussion?

#ken	P-)}