httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 23:43:09 GMT
Cristian Gafton wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > Apache doesn't have to be recompiled to change the list of modules.
> > ClearModules plus a dynamic AddModule does the job.
>
> Really ?!
>
> I want to ship PHP module for the apache as a separate package that
> included module-php.so.1.2.5 shared library. How do I make apache use it
> without recompiling ?
>
> Am I such a moron ?

No, you're not.  You can only AddModule modules that were included
at compile-time.  But you can disable the ones that were included
that you don't want activated with this method.

It sounds like what you're lobbying for (at least the naming that
you're using) is strictly a RedHat solution.  Other distributors
would catch on (and up) eventually.  I've nothing against it
on those grounds - I don't believe that "old is good" always
applies.  I just want to point out at this juncture than new is
not necessarily better.  Is the potential return from a successful
experiment worth the investment?

Sameer's mod_so allows you (I think) to pick up arbitrary modules at
run-time.  It requires a change to the run-time configuration files.
Which is certainly simpler than a recompilation - but TANSTAAFL.

#ken	P-)}