httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/ap Makefile.tmpl
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 21:54:35 GMT
Martin Kraemer wrote:

> You actually did MOVE the CVS files from one directory into the other?

Yes, I did.

>            That's usually not the way to go because this way your're
> "faking history".

I don't see it as faking the history at all.  The history is about changes
made to the contents of the file, not the metainformation about where
it's located.  But that's just my opinion of the moment.

>                   For someone who tries to get the apache tree of,
> say, Jan 01 1998, he'll now be unable to compile (because the files are no
> longer in the directories where they were back then).

That's a valid point that I hadn't considered.

> Therefore, the safest procedure, history-wise, is to
>
>     mv ap/xxxx.h ap/yyy.h   include/
>     cvs rm ap/xxxx.h ap/yyy.h
>     cvs add include/xxxx.h include/yyy.h
>     cvs ci ap/xxxx.h ap/yyy.h include/xxxx.h include/yyy.h
>
> This way, there's no "time warp", and the files in include/ are
> created only for time stamps from the beginning of their existance
> in that directory (not their "previous lives" as ap/*.h).

But you lose all the history about why changes were made to the file
- which I was trying to avoid.

#ken	P-)}