httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frys...@w3.org>
Subject Re: W3C <-> Apache
Date Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:39:52 GMT
At 23:28 2/10/98 +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:

>Amazing! You think you can dictate conditions to us. As the de facto
>setter of standards for Webservers, I say that you must follow our
>process, namely to submit patches to Apache and gain appropriate support
>for those patches. Until you do, you have not followed the due process
>for changing the way the Web works.

That would work but I was actually proposing a mechanism for working closer
together. I guess your proposal would make that harder. I don't
particularly think that is a good idea and it is not what I have heard
mentioned in today's discussion.

>Now, in case people think I'm completely serious about this: of course,
>I'm not. I'm more reasonable than W3C. OTOH, the temptation of 50k a hit
>could make me much less reasonable. But seriously: in what way is what I
>have said different to W3C's approach? If anything it should carry more
>weight. We represent more market than they do, after all.

Since when has W3C been in any market? If you read our contract then we
explicitly state that we don't compete with anyone.

Henrik
--
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen,
World Wide Web Consortium