httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject future plans
Date Wed, 04 Feb 1998 00:35:53 GMT

At 08:01 AM 2/3/98 -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>To me, it's looking like there is still a lot we could do with 1.3.0.

Indeed.

>  1. We stop development on 1.3 in order to release 1.3.0.
>     We focus on 2.0.

I think the problems we've all had regarding 2.0 development have been
around having much larger plans than any of us can reasonably do in a given
amount of time.

What if we said that the only major advances we *needed* to have in 2.0 was
multithreading.  A new API would be nice (we can get partway there with
some extra phases), as well layered IO or a new config language, but
ultimately the most pressing issue in apache compared to other servers is
the multithreading issue.  The hard part will be coming up with a portable
threading interface, something which runs in front of pthreads, or native
threads, or even a multi-process emulation of threading.  The core code
should be mostly thread safe particularly since the NT port is
multithreaded anyways.

Since threading is pretty closely tied with IO it might make sense to also
do the IO stuff we've talked about at the same time... but I really do see
everyone's plans for 2.0 being much larger than I think any of us will be
able to chew anytime soon.

If someone comes up with a proposed threading interface spec, and backs it
with pthreads, that'll get us a huge chunk of the way there; other
threading models can be implemented as 2.0 rolls through alpha.  The basic
idea, though, is to lower our aims for what 2.0 will include.

comments?

	Brian

specialization is for insects				  brian@organic.com