httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 19:47:18 GMT
At 02:23 PM 2/2/98 -0500, Cristian Gafton wrote:
>Would you be interested in some patches to make apache 1.3 compile its
>modules as shared libraries and load them on startup ?
>
>I find this method that apche should be recompiled every time you add a
>module very frustrating. i have done some patches that will allow modules
>to be compiled as shared libraries (.so files), and apache will dlopen()
>them on startup, loadin all modules present in a certain directory
>(/usr/lib/apache for example)

There is definitely some interest in doing that, but we are trying to close
up 1.3 so I don't know if it can make it in.  I would advocate you (or
someone) from redhat join the developer's list (majordomo@apache.org,
subscribe new-httpd, they're also cc'd on this response) and present the
patches.  I know there's at least one other shared-library patch out there.
 I'd be interested, personally speaking, in seeing it work before 1.3
final, but the group seems to be moving towards closure so we can move to
2.0.

>Also, are you aware of any work in progress to make apache 1.3 use the GNU
>autoconf program (lower priority, but still doable and cool)

We've had rancorous discussions about whether it's a good idea; basically
boiling down to concerns that autoconf would not be easy to extend if there
was suddenly an issue (such as the whole serialized-accept bizness) which
we needed to address per platform.  If you have experience with this and
want to address the concerns a few members of the group have about it, it's
definitely a possibility we'd consider.

	Brian

specialization is for insects				  brian@organic.com