httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: Virtual Hosting w/ mod_rewrite \(complete solution\?\)
Date Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:35:04 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96dg4.980226130509.6462D-100000@twinlark.arctic.org> you wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Brian Atkins wrote:

>[...]
>> We have ours set up to deal with our subdomains instead of
>> vhost.com type names (i.e. username.hypermart.net). This
>> way we do not need a config file like this that may take
>> up a lot of mem in each process (we have over 11k vhosts now
>> on one box). It would also be nice to be able to use mod_rewrite
>> for our regular vhost.com vhosts as well- perhaps you could
>> develop a combo ruleset that would cover both types of vhosts-
>> one using a map file and one without?

> You can probably do multiple domains without everything in memory too...
> aren't there file test operators in mod_rewrite?  'cause you could
> just make sure to rewrite domains that had directories on disk.

Yes, good idea. You can use something like

   RewriteCond /path/to/vhosts/${lowercase:%{HTTP_HOST}} -d
   RewriteRule ...

this rewrites only when the dir /path/to/vhosts/www.foo.dom exists.

>[...]
> Yeah that's what it does.  You should check it out to make sure it does
> everything you need.  It's "UseCanonicalName on" actually, the default is
> off (to preserve backwards compatibility).

Ops, yes, I've forgot the "on". Fixed in my config now. Thanks for the hint.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com