httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: 1.2.6
Date Mon, 23 Feb 1998 07:08:17 GMT

In article <199802230125.UAA18541@devsys.jaguNET.com> you wrote:

> I think that after a point in time, we should spend our time
> focusing on the newer version and not adding things to the older
> one to make it closer to the newer yet unreleased one (unless
> the bugs are serious or security related).

> At this point in time, I think the best use of our limited efforts
> would be in getting 1.3 out and not tuning 1.2.x.

We _are_ focusing on 1.3, but I see no real reason why some of us also
shouldn't spend some time to at least bugfix the previous release which _is_
currently in wide use. Although not state-of-the-art Apache 1.2 _is_ the
current version in use. And it should our goal to make this branch as stable
as it can with the manpower we have and we are willing to spend for this.

Look at Squid: They are developing 1.2 and they are still bugfixing 1.1. For
1.0 they did the same. Because they want that the 1.X.Y (where Y is the
highest number ever used by them for 1.X) _is_ a really stable version of 1.X.
Why? Because no one knows how long it takes for 1.(X+1) to be as stable as 1.X
(even _after_ the beta cycle!).

So, when possible we always should make the previous release as stable as it
can be with the manpower we have available and as long as the people doing the
stuff have fun doing it. I thing this is no problem, because those of us who
just want to only focus on 1.X can do it this way and those of us who
additionally want to spend some time on 1.(X-1) can do it, too. We can only
gain from that effort!

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com