httpd-dev mailing list archives

From (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: mod_rewrite \(was Re: 1.2.6\)
Date Sat, 14 Feb 1998 19:00:49 GMT

In article <> you wrote:
> According to Dean Gaudet:

>>  Yuck, I wasn't even aware of this brokenness in mod_userdir.  I personally
>>  wish we'd just dropped mod_userdir et al for mod_rewrite ages ago.  But
>>  whatever.  I'll go put a bandaid on it.

> Is there a reason why mod_userdir and mod_alias are still in use?
> mod_rewrite can easily replace both modules and writing some
> wrapper functions to provide backward compatibility to the userdir
> and alias directives shouldn't be a problem. In fact Ralf demonstrated
> that this is possible some time ago with his mod_rewrite_compat module...

Yes, this module mod_rewrite_compat.c could be updated and will work fine, I
think. But as Ken said, some users driving small and fast Apaches perhaps
don't like the overhead of the regex matches. Has someone performance values
which actually say that the regex matches are _dramatically_ slower then using
a substring match in practice?

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall

View raw message