httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Kluft <ikl...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: MUX and AJPv2 (was: HTTP-NG)
Date Wed, 11 Feb 1998 02:09:45 GMT
Earlier I wrote...
[...]
> We determined that the new Apache JServ Protocol needed to be able to
> multiplex sessions on a single pipe in order to better support a
> multithreaded client.  (The "client" from the point of view of this protocol
> is the HTTPD.)  [...]

Actually, another reason for this was to have keepalive-like performance
advantages for single-threaded clients, just from keeping TCP sockets open
between requests when possible.  It was also partly to follow some of
Apache HTTPD's example regarding performance issues that couldn't be
eliminated during the time that an HTTP cleint is waiting for a response.
Instead, they'd be moved whenever possible to occur before or after the
conection so that the client wouldn't perceive any wait for them.

That was a big part of the decision to revamp the servlet engine's protocol.
The way mod_jserv is currently set up (which was basically right to get the
early stages of the project rolling) the web client has to wait while a new
connection is opened to the servlet engine.
--
Ian Kluft  KO6YQ PP-ASEL                                  Cisco Systems, Inc.
ikluft@cisco.com (work)  ikluft@thunder.sbay.org (home)          San Jose, CA