httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Wed, 04 Feb 1998 01:19:51 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > There's nothing wrong with reinventing the wheel, if what you are after
> > is a faster, leaner and more specialized wheel. :/
> Our wheel is slower... with an autoconf'd project when a file is added,
> and a is modified, then you need only run ./config.status to
> get those changes into your Makefiles.  In our case, ./Configure has to be
> run... and it is very slow:

./config.status is faster because it uses a cache. If you make changes,
then the cache is stale and no worth at all. Not only that, but
./config.status does not store any env variables which have been
set on the original ./configure command line.

> Almost 15 seconds just to rebuild my Makefiles.

Only because Configure actual rebuilds, from scratch.

      Jim Jagielski            |       jaguNET Access Services           |