httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/main http_vhost.c
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 20:18:17 GMT
On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 11:50:37AM -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> But that still doesn't solve the bug Marc brought up.
>
> http://twinlark./ should fail, it shouldn't match a "ServerAlias twinlark"

Oh well, another can of worms.

The matching of "config words" to server names, domain substrings, glob
patterns and regex patterns is, to say it mildly, catastrophic in apache.

You probably hit a "regex"-'.' or anything. There are loads of "strstr"
matches in the code, especially in the proxy module. When I added the
NoProxy directive, I tried to resolve part of this by defining a precise
syntax for
  - domain names (and how they're matched)
  - IP Addrs     (and how they're matched)
  - SubnetAdds   (and how they're matched)
  - Host Names   (and how they're matched)
  - all the rest (and how it's matched)

These "config word" matches should _ALL_ be precisely defined, and best
handled in a set of central routines, for each of the classes of "config
words" we want to handle.

And there should be a syntax to write "I want this word to be a glob
pattern" or "this word is an IP subnet" etc.

I hope you understand what I'm so angry about when you have a look at
mod_proxy.html:

    The NoCache directive specifies a list of words, hosts and/or
    domains, separated by spaces. HTTP and non-passworded FTP documents
    from matched words, hosts or domains are _not_ cached by the proxy
    server. The proxy module will also attempt to determine IP addresses
    of list items which may be hostnames during startup, and cache them
    for match test as well.

How would _you_ program a match for "a list of words, hosts and/or
domains"?

    Martin