httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 15:10:44 GMT
rasmus@bellglobal.com wrote:

> If this isn't the dumbest hack of the century, I don't know what is.  But I
> am certainly not going to try to maintain shared lib build info for every
> platform out there.  In this case I am letting the Perl guys figure it out.

Who, by the way, aren't using autoconf :)

I'm not saying that I'm 100% against autoconf. I'm just saying that
at times it's a major pain when it's (1) not built right and (2)
when it makes assumptions it shouldn't. People can argue until they are
blue in the face that autoconf/configure will "do everything we want"
but until they at least _acknowledge_ that it is very easy to have
it become more of a pain than the current process, then I will
continue to state my point of view. Because, and we all know this,
unless it's acknowledged and accepted, it will be way too easy
to fall into that trap. If we do decide to go with the autoconf
route, you can bet that I'm gonna put a lot of work into having it
work in a way that handles my concerns (and those concerns of
countless others out there who don't happen to be on the top 3
unix platforms).

And does someone know how the use of these autoconf tools affects
_our_ license? I'd rather not have to worry about FSF thank you.