httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 15:02:10 GMT
rasmus@bellglobal.com wrote:

> > > I think for 2.0, we should go a step beyond autoconf.  Go right to
> > > automake/libtool which sit on top of autoconf in order to provide a
> > > proper framework for building shared libs on all platforms.
> > >

> > we should also have the build process for Apache 2.0 build gcc as well
> > while it's at it. :) :) :)
>
> Well, how do you plan on addressing the shared lib building issues that we
> are pretty sure to need in 2.0?  Will you make Configure figure out how to
> build a shared lib on all the various platforms that we support?  On some
> platforms it is pretty damn hairy to get all the compiler flags right and
> this is something the automake/libtool/autoconf combination is quite good at.

It was a _joke_. A _JOKE_.

In any case, there are, no doubt, some OSs that don't have shared
libs, or whose shared lib's are incredibly broken. If we have the
Apache build process not only build gcc (we'll call it ap_gcc) as
well as the GNU lib and sfio, we won't worry about how to implement
anything :) :) :) :) :)

In fact, what we should do is have the Apache build process built
it's own virtual UNIX machine, which then installs itself on
the platform at hand.

I'm sorry... I just can't resist :)