httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 13:34:49 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Saying that you don't like configure because of the way some other
> system did their macros, or saying that you had problems with it
> several years ago, is saying nothing.  As far as I'm concerned, you
> can't have a reasonable opinion regarding automake/autoconf unless
> you have used them within the past year to create your own configure.

Bah... saying "real world experience" about the hassles of using
autoconf/configure is "saying nothing" is wrong, wrong, wrong.
I would submit that saying that "we can make autoconf/configure
do whatever we want and everything will be hunky-dory because,
well, gosh darn it, it just _can_" carries a bit less weight.

I've said, many times, that when autoconf/configure works well,
there's nothing like it. But the vast majority of the time it
doesn't. Oh, and people say "well, yeah, that's a bad design for
the configure.in stuff, and yep it can be scary when it doesn't
work, but that's not autoconf/configure's fault" is just so much
hand-waving, imo.

Saying "ignore your past experience and just accept autoconf/configure
because it has _potential_ and because of that _potential_ none of
your past experience has any bearing" is like saying that if your
car's in the shop 10 out of 12 months, then you should still say it's
a great car, because when it's working, it works well. And you have
no right to complain that it's a "bad car" because it has the _potential_
of being a great one.

One's attitude towards autoconf/configure is based on how well it's
worked for one in the past. I'm sure those who use nothing but
Solaris or the BSD family have had little trouble with it, esp if their
setups are typical and think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
My background with it, on A/UX, AIX and IRIX (and even an Ultrix
system -Ack!) has not been so fortunate. I've readily admitted this.
I've provided reasons for my prejudice (yep, I've even called it
that) in just about every post. To just say we should ignore them
makes no sense and avoids a very real situation. All I'm hearing
is that we should use autoconf/configure and "we'll do it right"
and experience has indicated that "doing it right" isn't as trivial
as people may think it is...