httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 13:15:14 GMT
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> I have to agree with the autoconf supporters here.  You have some minor
> quirks with the PHP autoconf setup.  I'll get those addressed before PHP
> 3.0.  But I would definitely prefer to be able to tell a user to do a
>
>   ./configure --with-mod-php
>
> tp build Apache, for example, instead of trying to tell the user to edit
> the Apache Configuration file and to go to the bottom of the file and add
>
>   AddModule modules/extra/mod_php3.o

Not that it matters, but something like this would be very, very easy
with Configure as well. If ./configure can do something then we can
make ./Configure do it as well. The "advantage" to Configure, imo,
is that it does only what we want and only how we want it done,
without the extra baggage and "I know best" mode of autoconf.

There's nothing wrong with reinventing the wheel, if what you are after
is a faster, leaner and more specialized wheel. :/

Let's also recall that for more traditional reasons than anything
else, Configure has been as basic and as bare-bones as possible,
adhering to a System7 shell capability. This has been a limiting
factor in what we can do, and the use of functions, etc would be
a great help. But even autoconf/configure doesn't save us there because
there are OSs out there that will barf and die on configure scripts,
unless I change them to be run by bash or ksh.

whatever :)