httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Rasins <Sa...@Caribe-Enterprises.com>
Subject Apache download numbers
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 03:20:56 GMT
Hello,

After reading through the 100+++ messages today, with percent or market
and all, I would like to know if anyone has looked at the number of times
the distribution(s) has(have) been downloaded in contract to the number of
sites found by the NetCraft survey.  Of course, a number of domains are
served by the same server (i.e. the same "downloaded" distribution), but
this number would give some sort of idea of just how many folks do indeed
compile their own Apache httpd in relation to the survey results.

Are we seeing the same growth (as the survey shows)?

Is there correlation?

Of course, the NetCraft survey does NOT address the INTRAnet installations,
but I'd bet there is a sizeable number of Apache servers doing the work on
the other side of all those "firewalls".  I know I have installed a few
myself. (In fact, I know from a MicroSoft seminar, that they run Apache on
a few of their internal development machines serving >50K hits per day.)

Well, there you have it!

Later,
Sambo	P-)
<Sambo@Caribe-Enterprises.com>

I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!
		-- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire

{NOTE: The [random] quote above was provided via the 'fortune' program.}