httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 02:10:13 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Cristian Gafton wrote:
>
> > Now you are saying that this is still more complicated than having to
> > patch Configure, Configuration, httpd.h and Makefile.tmpl to do a build...
>
> Um.. since when does anyone have to edit Configure, httpd.h or
> Makefile.tmpl to build Apache? On most systems (including RHL, by the
> way), I just do "cp Configuration.tmpl Configuration; ./Configure; make"
> and it works.

Also, I think our current mode is an offshoot of the "old days" where
we had Apache built and tested on each specific server ourselves. In
essense, we wanted to make sure that it ran on the platforms that we
said it did. If people had new platforms, then it's possible it
would require actual code changes, but we felt that it was best doing
it that way since we could then say that "Platform XXX was officially
supported" (for whatever weight that carried). However, no matter
what, editting Configuration.tmpl and adding a few flags if needed
is all that's required in the vast majority of cases.