httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 02:05:09 GMT
Cristian Gafton wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> > I've always tried to maintain Configure as having enough smarts to
> > make your life easier, but not enough to make your life tougher.
> > Whatever autoconf can do, we can do to Configure, and we can make it
> > work the way we want it... :)
>
> No doubt about that. But it is not "standard".

So? Who said it's got to be standard? It's got to (1) work and
(2) be easy.

Last time I checked, Perl still used Larry's old home-brewed configure
script. Should we knock Perl because it doesn't use autoconf? If we
use autoconf, do we have to deal with FSF's license?

This debate is more suited for the 2.0 discussion more than anything
else... ain't no way we're gonna change this around for 1.3.