httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 23:51:53 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> No. This is a really cool way to make sure that you never get the same
> build of Apache twice (or any other autoconfed package). This is one
> "feature" of autoconf that drives me completely crazy. Try sharing
> sysadmin on a machine in the face of this kind of stuff going on.

autoconf has always been a semi-religious argument here on new-httpd.
Ben and I seem to agree that if you have a system which is even mildly
"different" autoconf will make your life hell. There are some features
of Configure that are very autoconf-like, for good reason. However,
I've always tried to maintain Configure as having enough smarts to
make your life easier, but not enough to make your life tougher.
Whatever autoconf can do, we can do to Configure, and we can make it
work the way we want it... :)