httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 23:37:10 GMT
Cristian Gafton wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > Sure.  How does it differ from "./Configure ; make"?
> >
> > I still have grave concerns about autoconf's ability to sense all the
> > platform-specific issues src/Configure does.
>
> Well, it does so for squid. And for gcc. And for emacs. And for
> PostgreSQL. And for sendmail. And for bind. And for a whole plethora of
> big, large programs with heavy requirements on identifying the exact
> differences between platforms.
>
> Why wouldn't it do it for apache ?!

The major problem is that, if your setup is in the least bit
"abnormal" (for example, for LONG LOST reasons, I use /usr2 for
many things that usually "should" be in /usr/local) autoconf
becomes a major pain. Not only that, but it means tons of hand
editing for everything that it goes ahead and creates anyway :/