httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <...@individual.com>
Subject RE: Accept-Encoding - the saga continues (fwd)
Date Thu, 19 Feb 1998 22:36:27 GMT
On Thursday, February 19, 1998 12:01 PM, Anand Kumria
[SMTP:wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au] wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Martin Kraemer wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 16, 1998 at 11:07:17PM -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > > - declare that this client is too broken for us to support it, and the
> > > client will need to be fixed.  In this case it's only gsview that needs
> > > fixing as far as I can tell.
> >
> > IMO it's more a MSIE bug: it saves the file under an incorrect name
> > (even though it changes its contents, i.e., uncompresses it, the extension
> > stays the same). Way broken!
>
> Not really. If you as a user ask for a file to be downloaded wouldn't you
> be surprised if the filename you asked for doesn't appear (i.e. it gets
> renamed to <file>.ps instead)? gsview shouldn't be assuming that the name
> of a file has anything to do with the type of its contents.

Not under Windows. File types and applications are tightly bound under Win32
OSes (try renaming a .ps file and see what happens). I have to agree with
Martin
that MSIE should change the file type if it changes the contents.

Of course, OS/2 does it correctly and saves such info in the EAs. But MSIE
doesn't
run under OS/2 :-) so its a moot point.

> Anand.

DDA

--
David D'Antonio CNE - dda@SpamBeGone.individual.com
 Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell