httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <...@individual.com>
Subject RE: what about using XML for the syntax of configuration files?
Date Fri, 13 Feb 1998 22:05:59 GMT
On Friday, February 13, 1998 4:56 PM, Dean Gaudet [SMTP:dgaudet@arctic.org]
wrote:
> I'm not particularly enamoured of it... but I could be convinced.  Here's
> some criteria:
>
> - the XML parser must be thread safe
> - the XML parser must not encumber our license at all

This makes perfect sense.

> - we can extend the XML *trivially* on the fly for modules (i.e. no
> compile-time static syntax)

At least with the MS parsers (I haven't looked at any others) you can
add/remove
children easily (a call to create the new element and a call to add it to a
parent).

I've just figured out how to do this via JavaScript. A kind soul sent me info
on a
JavaScript XML parser that should be as easy (if not easier) to add/remove
stuff
from. The DTD is pretty "static" (and it really does define the syntax) so I'm
not too
sure what you mean by this.

> If using XML means we get a gui "for free" then I can be convinced of it.
> Otherwise I'm still interested in the syntax I proposed during the summer.
> Which I'll dig out and plop in the apache-2.0/docs directory over the
> weekend.

There ain't nothin' for free! :-) XML is a good way to send a structured
document over
the web and these tools allow you to manipulate it easily. But someone's gotta
write
the DTD (although you can have standalone XML until then) and someone's gotta
write
the Java and/or JavaScript to display it and all that. XML just makes it easy
to bundle
it all up and deal with it. And probably be rather platform-independant about
it.

> Dean

DDA

--
David D'Antonio CNE - dda@SpamBeGone.individual.com
 Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell