httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Lars Eilebrecht <Lars.Eilebre...@unix-ag.org>
Subject RE: holy pete PLEASE READ
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 03:12:12 GMT
According to Brian Behlendorf:

>  I say we approve/veto the last set of patches in the STATUS file and
>  release 1.3b4, and then within a week "1.3.0".  Yes, the NT port isn't
>  perfect, it's not as stable or nice as Apache on Unix; we have to bite the
>  bullet and accept that.  We've already accepted that the current thread
>  model doesn't work perfectly on NT anyways.

IMHO this is not a good idea...
Looking at the bugdb there are several Windows specific PRs that
should be addressed before releasing 1.3.0.
Apart from the fact that I don't do any Windows-stuff I think that
the Windows-port is very important for the 1.3.0 release.
Many people are testing the Windows version and are probably waiting
for the final version to use it on a production server. I think we
will loose many of the Windows-people if we release a 'buggy' 1.3.0.

Reading the index page at www.apache.org I'm seeing the following
sentence:

  The goal of this project is to provide a secure, efficient and extensible
  server which provides HTTP services in sync with the current HTTP standards.

Do you think the current Windows-port has reached this goal?
If not the 1.3.0 release should wait until this goal is achieved and the
Apache Group *really* can recommend Windows people to use Apache!

Only Microsoft has a 'release-and-fix-later'-mentality... the Apache Group
has shown in the past that a final version really is *final*.

>  For us, it's really really easy to distribute new releases; in fact
>  the world might just be a better place if we release a minor version of
>  1.3 every few weeks, every time there's a modest improvement in internals
>  or features.

But if the first 'final' Windows version is unstable the Apache Group will
loose some its good reputation, IMHO.

[...]
>  So, again, my proposal is to release 1.3b4 quite quickly, and "1.3.0" soon
>  after that.  Notice I'm hesitant to use the word "final", for obvious
>  reasons.

As you already mentioned, Apache is no commercial product and therefore
there are no fixed release dates. 1.3 beta cycle maybe takes longer than
expected, but porting Apache to a completely different platform like
Windows takes its time. The developers who are working on the Windows port
are doing a great job, but releasing an 'unstable' Windows-port as 1.3.0
won't help the Windows-folks nor the Apache Group.

As always... just my $0.02. :)

P.S.: Switching to lazy voting for all Windows-specific stuff may speeds
      things up...

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                           - Reality is an illusion...
sfx@unix-ag.org                          - caused by a lack of alcohol