httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@lerdorf.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf)
Subject Re: and while I'm pissing people off (fwd)
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 13:07:58 GMT
> Come to think of it, we may benefit from "fresh blood" if we open our
> development process up a teensy little bit by putting a page describing the
> new-httpd mailing list on www.apache.org.  Seems as though the development
> lists for most other projects are not "kept a secret" as much as new-httpd
> is from Apache users.  Of course we're all worried about folks mistaking
> "new-httpd" for "apache-bugs" or
> "apache-smart-folks-who-can-help-me-avoid-reading-docs-to-solve-my-problem@a
> pache.org", but with a strongly worded message I'm sure we can filter out
> most of those folks.

In the PHP project the development list is very accessible.  But right
next to the info about how to join the development list, there is info on
how to join a more general list.  The few new users that join the
developer list and start asking silly questions are soon discouraged and
pointed to the right list.  The fact that all CVS commit messages go
directly to the developer list weeds out lots of people anyway.  With 30
people with commit priviledges to the tree, these messages can become
overwhelming for people who don't know how to filter their mail.

-Rasmus