httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject offtopic:browsers msie/netscape gap closing fast here.
Date Mon, 05 Jan 1998 09:52:24 GMT

I just noticed that at our site yesterday MSIE had closed the
gap on Netscape's lead. In terms of requests, the ratio is ~55/45
in Netscape's favour and for pageviews it's 60/40.

I think a lot of kids and big kids got new computers and modems for xmas.

1 month ago the ratios were   63/37  and  66/34.

That's a considerable shift in 1 month.

NS 3 usage is falling, NS 4 usage is steady-ish, MSIE 3 is steady and
MSIE 4 usage is soaring.

-=-=

The difference in request and pageview ratios is likely to be due to
MSIE 3+4 supporting stylesheets while only NS 4 does.. our servers serve
an extra non-pageview request for a stylesheet file.