httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: Creating src/include in 1.3
Date Fri, 30 Jan 1998 00:25:55 GMT

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Well, exactly, and that was my point. The snag is that there's this
> distinction between per-server and per-dir configs. Per-dir's don't know
> about servers, which is pretty bogus IMO. I'm not quite sure what we
> should do about it, except to say that I think it should be one of the
> areas we give serious thought to in 2.0. This comes back to my rather
> ancient proposal about just generally sort of matching things and thus
> ending up with a configuration, which didn't really make distinctions
> between things like which host, which directory, what URL, or even which
> browser. They were just things that could be matched to provide config.
> I'd like to see it fixed in 1.3, less sure about 1.2.x (mainly because I
> suspect it involves substantial code change).

What exactly do you want to fix in 1.3?  Fixing just this bug with
Options/AllowOverrides is easy...

BTW, it's not as hard as I thought to preserve the global default
"Options all".  In fact it may be just as easy as:

    d->opts = OPT_UNSET | OPT_ALL;

And change the OPT_UNSET tests to just test the OPT_UNSET bit.

Note, while a completely generic "match this { merge that }" config
language could be cool I'm having a hard time figuring out how it would
enforce things like "this can only be set per server".  There's a reason
for the per_server and per_dir distinction -- some things only make sense

View raw message