httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@awe.com>
Subject Re: Why does Apache talk to me?
Date Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:06:36 GMT
On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> I recently compiled and tried running today's CVS tree of Apache under
> Windows NT, which I haven't done for a few weeks or so. I received the
> following display:
> and so on and so on...
>
> What's going on? And how can I make it stop?

These are debug messages I found useful when analysing Apache's behaviour
for the recent MT code overhaul. They track what the parent, child and
threads are doing, and are quite useful when doing bulk stress tests (e.g.
thousands of requests while doing continuous graceful restarts).

They come from the ADPx() macros in http_main.c. These macros are _only_
enabled when compiled in DEBUG mode. They can be configured to log to
either the console _or_ to the error_log at debug level. It defaults to
the console currently, but should default to the error_log. That's merely
a question of changing the "#ifdef DEBUG_TO_ERROR_LOG" in http_main.c into
"#ifndef DEBUG_TO_CONSOLE".

The reason why I used a macro instead of raw aplog_error() calls was (a)
to make the debug message easy to find and eliminate if necessary and (b)
to allow for compile time choice between error_log and the console. The
console log is better in some situations, especially since you can't do a
"tail -f error_log" on NT to see what is happening on a live server.

//pcs