httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <>
Subject Re: can anyone explain how to add modules to win32 build?
Date Mon, 12 Jan 1998 16:26:09 GMT
On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Do you mean so that they build as part of the ApacheCore build, or do
> > you mean more of the existing scheme?
> I'm being sarcastic and saying that having to go through two zillion steps
> for each new .dll that I want to generate is a very dumb thing to do
> compared to the nice easy Unix way of being able to just cp whatever it is
> you have to use and edit the few places that need editing.

Yep, you've hit the biggest problem with Windows: you can't automate
anything. Well, you can do some things, but there are always things you
just cannot automate. Even with nice things like perl. That's the real
reason that I wouldn't use an NT server in real live (even more than
performance and stability reasons). And I'm sure sooner or later someone
has *got* to see through the nice GUI and "cheaper to adminster" arguments
to see that administering NT is actually a lot more difficult than Unix.

Then again they haven't so far, and IS department just higher more NT
gophers to do the donkey work of repetative tasks. Dumb.

View raw message