httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/os/win32 ApacheModuleAuthAnon.dsp ApacheModuleAuthAnon.mak ApacheModuleCERNMeta.dsp ApacheModuleCERNMeta.mak ApacheModuleDigest.dsp ApacheModuleDigest.mak ApacheModuleExpires.dsp ApacheModuleExpires.mak ApacheModuleHeaders.dsp ApacheModuleHeaders.mak ApacheModuleInfo.dsp ApacheModuleInfo.mak ApacheModuleRewrite.dsp ApacheModuleRewrite.mak ApacheModuleSpeling.dsp ApacheModuleSpeling.mak ApacheModuleStatus.dsp ApacheModuleStatus.mak ApacheModuleUserTrack.dsp ApacheModuleUserTrack.mak
Date Sat, 24 Jan 1998 05:04:43 GMT

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > > Trust me, you don't want to try doing _that_ by hand.
> >
> > find . -name \*.mak | xargs perl -pi -e 'print "new line to add\n" if (/blahblah/);'
>
> The problem is that you get files out of sync with what MSVC thinks they
> should be, so if you export at some point in the future for some other
> reason, you could have all sorts of things suddenly pop up broken.  That
> still sticks you with two supposedly canonical sources of make info and no
> way to keep them in sync.  Exporing from MSVC, while it generates an awful
> mess, does keep them in sync.

Yeah well my point was that maintaining by hand isn't that hard.  If you
weren't using the MSVC IDE then you'd just be adding something to one line
in one Makefile I'm sure... because your makefiles would actually use some
of the features of make.

My example could have been changed to edit the .dsp files instead.

If the makefiles are autogenerated why do we even have them checked into
CVS?

Dean