httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: Upgrade of the SNMP module for Apache 1.2.5
Date Tue, 20 Jan 1998 18:56:22 GMT
You know I think the patch to the core of the code can be eliminated with
a little extra work in 1.3.

For example, we already maintain bytes_out in BUFFs, we can easily
maintain bytes_in.  It would be really useful to distinguish between
protocol overhead (i.e. headers, chunking headers/footers) and actual
content -- for example, in logs it would be nice to know how much of a
file was actually sent, and how much the header overhead was.  This deals
with all the counters you've added to the buff and conn_rec structures.

I don't understand why you need to put the vhost stuff in the scoreboard.
You could implement your own shared memory and not require patches to the
core.  (Yup it would be so nice if we would abstract shared memory so you
don't have to do all the same crud we do.  A patch for that would be

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Harrie Hazewinkel wrote:

> Hi,
> I have upgraded the snmp module for the Apache 1.2.5 version.
> I also fixed some changes as done within the MIB-definition
> by the SYSAPPL-WG of the IETF and reduced memory-use for
> the SNMP-engine. Therefore, I have created a tarball which
> includes the 'patch' required in the original Apache code
> (version 1.2.5) and the 'module/snmp' directory.
> Info is available at
> and the tarbal is at
> It is tested on Solaris2.5.1 and FreeBSD2.
> So far I only encountered only a problem during a 'KILL -HUP'.
> The SNMP-process is then not killed and it keeps the ports
> occupied. I believe it was possible to do this within the
> 'init' of the module, but failed so far.
> I will look into it, but if someone has a direct hint....
>       phone:+39+332+789384
>            fax:+39+332+785500
>  postal: JRC of the E.C.  -  CEO unit
>          Ispra 21020 (VA) Italy
>   Ik ben Harrie en ik ben 28 jaar en doe SNMP na. MIB, MIB

View raw message