httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] experiment with commit-then-review
Date Mon, 19 Jan 1998 23:11:14 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> On the other hand, if you add something that works *only* on UNIX it's
> only fair to give the Win32 folx warning - and if it cannot be done
> under Win32 I think it's reasonable that they be able to veto the
> change.  We decided long ago to maintain feature (if not bug) compatibility
> across platforms.

I am absolutely against this.

If there's something we can't do on WIN32 that's just too bad.  I'm not
going to cripple the unix version just because we can't do it on win32.
Consider cpu time limits and other resource control stuff -- we may not be
able to do that on win32 yet (5.0 we should).  You're saying we shouldn't
do that period, and I'm totally disagreeing with that.

I disagree that we "decided long ago to maintain feature compatibility
across platforms".  We certainly don't have it now (consider
OPTIMIZE_TIMEOUT, a performance feature, consider mod_unique_id.c,
consider reliable USR1).

Dean