httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: misc profiling comments
Date Mon, 12 Jan 1998 23:48:33 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Martin Kraemer wrote:

> Is it worth thinking of the hsearch(3) or tsearch(3) library functions?
> In the past, these proved to get us good speed improvements in similar
> environments. But I think you had a even better performance in mind...

The problem is that most tables have so few elements that the overhead
would be prohibitive.

> Is it worth thinking of calculating a perfect hash for the most frequently
> used MIME headers (and always forcing them to single case)? Strcasecmp()
> is IMHO much more expensive than strcmp().

Yup it's worth looking at... but I'm not likely to continue in that
direction right now, so if someone else wants to play with it, feel free.
The perfect hash is really only needed when we're reading headers from the
client.  Everywhere else could do a lookup using an enumerated type as the
key.

Dean