httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: and while I'm pissing people off (fwd)
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:36:06 GMT
On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Speaking only for myself, I'll try to focus more on the smaller
> stuff as it comes through... I'm sure others will as well.
> Stuff like OS porting has fallen through the cracks... One was
> available for 1.2.5 but was quickly snubbed down. I didn't
> bother protesting... I shoulda though in hindsite.

You'll note it's on the STATUS for 1.2.6 though.  When we started the
security work for 1.2.5 several weeks ago we decided that we didn't want
to break anything and we certainly didn't want to try to cram things into
the release.  We knew that we wanted a quick public announcement followed
by a release.

Platform updates don't really bug me actually... I mean I'd love it if we
could get them exactly right, but a lot of the folks that send them to us
provide us with very little to work with.  (This is more for the lurkers
'cause Jim certainly knows what I'm talking about.)  It's not uncommon for
us to get a report like:

    "blahos/9.3 requires -lflurp"

Then we respond and say "is that a new requirement as of 9.3? is it a
requirement for 9.3 only?  will it work in versions before 9.3?"  and get
either no response or an "I'm not sure".  Then we have to gamble on
including it, we don't mind gambling in 1.3, we do mind gambling in 1.2.

Dean