httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Hughes <kev...@webhistory.org>
Subject Re: sane mail-archive
Date Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:28:52 GMT

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> >I have a half-implemented version of exactly this.  The major stumbling
> >block has been the index; I want full-text, and my first pass (before
> >I had to turn my attention elsewhere) involved breaking the mbox into
> >separate pieces and running a wais index of it, and rewriting the
> >index pointers to be MIDs rather than file names.
>
> For the search tool I'd suggest just grabbing glimpse or swish or something
> and hacking it to not be file-system based but "feed me text, feed me an
> identification string"-based.

	Note that now hypermail is under GNU, and you folks are encouraged
to hack it to bits. Personally, I'd take a few ideas from MHonArc
(MIME support, page customization) and add them in if you all find it
useful. You can also get some ideas from www.findmail.com, which pretty
much rewrote hypermail from scratch, making it use a database of pointers
instead of individual files.

	Swish is also under GNU, and IMHO I'd start from the code at:

	http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/SWISH-E/

	and add ideas from htDig (also under GNU), rather than the other
way around, since htDig is getting rather big and complex and dependent
on wacky C++ library stuff.
	The SWISH-E project has added multiple fields support, and folks
on its mailing list are contributing code, patches, etc.

	-- Kevin