httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Skolnick <cl...@steam.com>
Subject Re: and while I'm pissing people off (fwd)
Date Sat, 10 Jan 1998 01:12:35 GMT
On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > It seems to me anyone who contributes is a "volunteer".  Controlling code
> > access makes sense but you're saying I and the rest of the lurkers who
> > only occassionally, if ever, post are not "volunteers" because we haven't
> > yet helped with the code in some vaugely defined 'substantial way'.  By
> > that standard voting members who've not posted patches for some time
> > should longer be considered "volunteers".

Indeed this is the case with myself.  I've been involved with apache since
it was only an idea to create a new httpd, hence the name of this mailing
list.  Have you seen me vote? Is my name on the volunteers list?  So I can
personally vouch that lack of participation does indeed work like you
mention in your last sentence.

I hang around here peeking in and reading stuff every once and a while
because at some point I hope to be able to participate once again.  I
stopped participating due to my own issues, not being chased away or
anything like that.  Although I'm sure if I had upped my participation I
would have been chased away. :)

Why was core created? Well that was already answered.

How was core created?  Back in the begining before core we would just simply
put everyone on the "to" line of email. Any project has out of band
communication, even if its a small set of the member emailing among
themselves without an email list.  As the group of highly active members
grew building "to" lists became a pain, and an alias was created.  There was
no malice or elitism intended.  And yes, we all did feel uncomfortable, and
yes we could have annouced things sooner.

Cliff

--
Cliff Skolnick
Steam Tunnel Operations