httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory A Lundberg <lundb...@vr.net>
Subject Re: and while I'm pissing people off (fwd)
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 01:40:13 GMT
On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Ian Kluft wrote:

> Ummm... before you all feel too guilty about your "secret", it's probably
> been apparent to most recurring readers of new-httpd that the Apache Group
> members had other out-of-band communication aside from this list.  If that
> surprised anyone, that would be pretty naive.  You couldn't sustain this
> project on this list alone with all the noise.

Ian is absolutely correct.  The infuriating thing was knowing OOB
communications was going on without being admited to.  The core team
_should_ have it's own channel, but the fact of its existance should not
be secret.

One concern I have about the commit-then-review idea is the distribution
list CVS would automatically mail to.  Would it go to new-httpd or some
new mailing list?  Given a choice, I'd like to see the CVS patches sent to
a separate list, but _that_list_must_be_open_ to anyone who wishes to
receive it.  The separate list allows interested parties to participate in
the discussion, or just see the patches, depending on _their_ wishes.  To
date, I've been in the camp of those who follows the discussion and
reviews the patches watching for solutions/ideas that can be applied to
the 1.2 code instead of waiting for the 1.3 tree be released.

Another concern is the policy the Group would have toward patches
submitted to the new-httpd list (I don't see anyone other than CVS being
allowed to post to its list).  Over the past few months, the Group has
shown an increasing tendency to ignore patches unless submitted by a
member with commit rights.  Unless some of the Group members make the
effort to commit non-commit members patches, natural attrition will lead
to a critical shortage of programmers with the inclination to contribute
and the necessary experience with the code to make substantive changes.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: lundberg@vr.net [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653