httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory A Lundberg <lundb...@vr.net>
Subject Re: voting
Date Thu, 08 Jan 1998 15:28:54 GMT
On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Ian Kluft wrote:

> > That is a serious comment.  Why don't you check your history books?  Rome
> > had exactly those rules.  Their history shows that eventually they will be
> > circumvented.
>
> OK, I'll acknowledge that you think the comment is serious but please excuse
> me for not being able to take it seriously.  It's just too far-fetched to
> be considered analagous to this environment.  I have a technical reason
> for saying that...
>
> Considering that CVS mails out notices about each commit, if someone were
> to gain the trust of the voting members and then try to circumvent the
> requirement to report activity, I'd expect plenty of voting members to
> stumble over each other to be the first to cast the veto that revokes the
> privilege.
>
> Remember, the problem here is that a long-time volunteer is frustrated with
> the slow pace of the process.  The idea here is to find a way to accelerate
> the process of getting code in without removing all the checks and balances.
> If you don't like the way it was suggested, it would be more constructive
> to suggest ways to improve it.  Or make an alternative suggestion.
>
> If the project finds a way to do this for its participants who have a history
> of high-quality work, the potential gain is high and risks are minimized.

My problem is not that the reporting requirement would be circumvented but
that eventually the 'temporary' nature of the privilege would become
'permanent'.  For some time after declairing himself Emperor, Julius
continued to report to the Senate .. for what good it did, since they no
longer had sufficient power to overturn his actions.  When it reaches that
point Apache is no longer a cooperative development effort, but under the
perview of a single individual.  Granted, there are a number of successful
project where a single person controls what is, or is not, the future
direction of the effort but there are far more examples of projects which
failed under that model.  If the Apache group wants to move in that
direction, fine.  But at least be up-front about it and understand that
your proposal is right at the edge of (if not a bit over) the slippery
slope to an autocratic form of project management.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: lundberg@vr.net [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653