httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: Naming conventions for 2.* (and maybe 1.3+?)
Date Sat, 24 Jan 1998 21:30:37 GMT
On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> > I always thought this distinction was rather silly. If we want module
> > authors to use a function, how do we distinguish between "functions that
> > aren't tied to the httpd project" and "httpd public interfaces." The fact
> > is, you can't. While rprintf() is no doubt in the second class, and
> > snprintf() is no doubt in the first, where does no2slash() fall? It
> > doesn't care about Apache, it's just a generic utility function that
> > removes slashes. But it seems very HTTP-ish to me.
>
> So what's wrong with it being HTTPish?  Put it this way: differentiate

Nothing. But which category does it fall into?

> between functions that can be used by httpd AND things in src/support.
> Those aren't tied to httpd.  Anything that requires httpd.h (such
> as any routine that uses pools) *is* tied to httpd, is part of it,
> and can't be part of anything in src/support.
>
> > Well, right now we have os_* prefixed stuff, but I've always thought that
> > was kind of silly.
>
> Why?  It's a level of abstraction, and the name indicates that the
> routine [potentially] does OS-specific things.  The name's the
> same, the purpose likewise, but it's a black box with different
> innards on a per-OS basis.

Um, no. I'm talking about the prefix of os_. How is os_* different from
ap_*? I mean, standalone_main() does very different things depending on
the OS, but I don't see anyone clamboring to add an os_ prefix to it.

[...]

> Be constructive; what would you like *instead*?
>
> > Personally, I kind of like "apache_", but maybe I've been hanging out with
> > Java too much; it is a bit long.
>
> And how to differentiate between categories?

As I just said: The categories are, IMHO, completely arbitrary, and I
don't think we need to distinguish.

> > Which reminds me: ANSI/ISO C says that all external names should be unique
> > in their first six characters. ROTFL ;)
>
> ROTFL?

Rolling On The Floor Laughing.