httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: [POLL] experiment with commit-then-review
Date Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:57:10 GMT
On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> If there's something we can't do on WIN32 that's just too bad.  I'm not
> going to cripple the unix version just because we can't do it on win32.
> Consider cpu time limits and other resource control stuff -- we may not be
> able to do that on win32 yet (5.0 we should).  You're saying we shouldn't
> do that period, and I'm totally disagreeing with that.

Agreed. I think we should definitely adopt the attitude that, wherever
possible, we should try and keep code and functionality common between the
versions, so that we don't waste time and effort, and so they can be as
similar as possible, and we shouldn't deliberately break one platform with
code written for another, but I don't think it's possible, or even
desirable, to maintain complete one-to-one feature lists between *any* two
ports.

> I disagree that we "decided long ago to maintain feature compatibility
> across platforms".  We certainly don't have it now (consider
> OPTIMIZE_TIMEOUT, a performance feature, consider mod_unique_id.c,
> consider reliable USR1).

Or consider that Win32 supports ISAPI extensions, and loading modules from
DLLs. Heck, Win32 does multithreading wheras Unix doesn't. That sounds
like a feature to me.