httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: Do C functions for modules have man pages or other documentation?
Date Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:40:52 GMT
On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Michael Anderson wrote:

> I'm writing a module to gateway a middleware package to the server, but
> I've been unable to find any listing, man pages, or other documentation
> for the C functions available to module writers, such as
> get_module_config(), palloc(), or send_http_header().
>
> I've searched the htdocs directory, FAQ, API doc, www.apache.org, and
> dev.apache.org without success. Anyone know where to find this guy?

It doesn't exist. The Apache Group does not have documentation, beyond the
sketch provided two years ago by Rob Thau in API.html, for the module API.
The best you can do is to peruse the source files, especially the public
header files and the standard modules, for examples.

We are currently hoping that Apache 2.0, when it is released in perhaps
six months to a year's time, will come with complete API documentation,
but that is off in the future.

You might also consider purchasing one of the several books published on
Apache, some of which have been written by members of the Apache
Group and contain information on coding for the API.

> Has anyone succeeded in compiling the server with g++? It sure would be
> useful for adding C++ code to modules ...

The Apache code is not currently compatible with C++. This is a known
issue, and plans to make it so are AFAIK hazy. It is, I believe, a simple
change, but I can't say for certain off the top of my head.