httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: The Apache Group's 1st order of business
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 19:35:24 GMT
On Fri, 9 Jan 1998 rasmus@bellglobal.com wrote:

> Right, in order to pick a place though I guess we all go to wherever we
> want it to take place and then review where we ended up after the fact.
> I'll bet there won't be any single city with more than 2 developers, other
> than SF.
>
> We tried arranging this last year.  It failed miserably.

Right. If I recall, we decided that the best solution was to get someone
(not any of us) to buy us all plane tickets to Tahiti or something like
that.

On another note: does anyone think it might be time to release a 1.3b4?
It's been nearly two months since 1.3b3. Note that I'm not volunteering.

Another thing to consider, given the recent discussions, might be the
following:

telnet dev.apache.org
cd /export/home/cvs
mv apache apache-1.2
mv apachen apache-1.3
cp -Rp apache-1.3 apache-2.0

And then assign the apache-1.3 module to a real release manager so we can
finish it up and ship it out, and let people play with apache-2.0 all they
want?

To those who talk about a 1.4, I don't think it matters. Apache 2.0 will
not be a complete rewrite, or even close to it. It will be "Apache 1.3
plus a new process model plus a revised request API plus a more consistent
method of configuration plus neat new features." Heck, the first "Apache
2.0"-like construct was written by Rob Thau eighteen months ago, and bore
considerable resemblance to Apache 1.1, it just happened to be
multithreaded, with a new I/O package. We might as well call our next
release 2.0. Heck, we could call it 0.2 and  really confuse people. Really
doesn't matter.