httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen STATUS
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 06:40:30 GMT
On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Gregory A Lundberg wrote:

> [LINK] bug databse
>   Access denied .. it seems I'm not an 'insider'.  We're off to a good
>   start.  Here I thought I'd find a reported bug and have something useful
>   to work on and actually help out.

The public bug database (http://bugs.apache.org/) works just fine for
this... what's the problem?

> [LINK] mailing lists
>   Directory index, scads of gz files .. maybe I'll grab em all, expand 'em
>   and read 'em?

Sure. That's what I did, when I joined the project. You can't expect to
jump into *any* situation without proper knowledge. And I don't think
anyone expects that someone is going to pop into this group and have 100%
knowledge of the code and the Apache Group's methodology. In fact, I don't
think a single one of those who've been here for years do, even.

> [LINK] Apache Project Plan
>   Nice outline.

Gotta laugh, huh? We don't do docs well :)

> [LINK] Rules About Voting
>   Oh good.  I was wondering where those were.

I refrain from comment.

> [LINK] Note on the API
>   I'll download and print it tomorrow.

Don't bother. It's two years out of date. OTOH, it's the only
documentation outside the source itself that the Apache Group provides on
the Apache API. I hope to change this for 2.0 (mostly by designing an API
worth documenting)

[...]

> Now the big question .. how was I supposed to know dev.apache.org even ran
> a web site?  I don't think I've seen it linked from www.apache.org and I
> just grep'd the docs from the 1.2.5 source tarball and there's nothing
> there.  I suppose lurking on the new-httpd list would eventually expose
> its existance (hey, it worked today for me).  Maybe everyone who'd like to
> muck arround with the server will lurk for months until someone drops a
> hint.

One might ask the question of how you found the new-httpd mailing list. It
isn't documented anywhere that I'm aware of, or if it is, it's not easy to
come by. I think the theory is that one who can find the list can also
find other relevant information.

Or can ask for it. The Apache Group is not for the weak of heart. (if you
can't stand the heat, get off the planet)