httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: CGI output caching
Date Mon, 26 Jan 1998 23:33:31 GMT
On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Igor Tatarinov wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Sorry I've already asked this question but didn't get any answer. Is the
> idea absolutely dumb or what?
>
> What I am thinking of is caching of CGI output. I know that it's tough and
> not always useful (I hear you saying "Don't cache our counter, you moron!).
>
> But everytime I visit imdb (hi Rob!) I think that it may worth it.  Just
> think of eliminating the need to start a new perl process and execute it.

As others have suggested, eliminating CGI will be a big step in the
right direction. If you still need more speedups and have output that
is stable enough to benefit from caching then you can look at adding that
later.

Note that even with cached data, you can still change it on-the-fly
with SSI. All my cached pages go through SSI filtering to present
different views depending on how and when accessed.